Starting your day with a balanced mix of carbohydrates, protein and fresh fruit energizes your morning and can help with weight control and improved mental performance. But if you're a busy professional, making time for breakfast may seem like a chore, especially if you have a family with children.
The good news is that, with a little planning and preparation, you can whip up healthy breakfasts in no time. Stock your pantry with breakfast essentials such as bread, cereal, eggs, milk, juice, fruits, cheese, yoghurt, peanut butter, and lean meat, and check out these easy and delicious recipes.
This is a great make-ahead recipe - just assemble the night before, refrigerate, and you're ready to go the next morning. The combination of peanut butter and oats has the right amount of protein and fibre. You can replace the peanut butter with any nut butter of your choice.
- In a large bowl, mash half a ripe banana, and then add 1 cup rolled oats and 1 cup milk (regular or soy or nut milk, as per your preference). The oats should completely soak in the milk.
- Add 1 teaspoon of peanut butter (adjust quantity as per your taste), 1 teaspoon of chia seeds (optional), and ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder. Add 1 teaspoon of honey or agave if you like.
- Mix all ingredients well, cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Eat as is, or add a sliced banana and some nuts for garnish.
Microwave Scrambled Eggs
Eggs are the most versatile of breakfast ingredients and whipping up an omelette or scrambled eggs is a quick affair. If you want to save time (and the added chore of washing up), try this one-dish microwave scrambled egg recipe.
- In a microwave-safe ramekin, combine 2 large eggs, 2 tablespoons milk, and a dash of salt and cayenne pepper. Stir in 1 thinly sliced onion.
- Microwave uncovered for 45 seconds on high. Stir with a fork and continue cooking till the eggs are almost set (about 30-45 seconds).
- Remove from the microwave and grate some cheddar cheese on top. Cover and let stand for 1 minute. Top with halved cherry tomatoes and serve with wholegrain toast.
This simple but deceptively decadent breakfast is the perfect combination of protein, fibre, and healthy fat.
- Toast wholegrain bread. Spread non-fat Greek yoghurt on the toast (about 1 tablespoon for each slice).
- Drizzle ½ teaspoon of honey on each slice, and sprinkle chopped pistachios on top. Serve immediately.
These easy power breakfasts, packed with the necessary nutrition for a high-energy day, ensure that every morning is a good one. Enjoy!